Friday, June 29, 2012

"I'll have a double whiskey ginger..No, wait...scratch that...I'll have bird flu" or, "Is driving with a cold the same as driving drunk?"

I don't know how I didn't hear about this before today, but earlier this year, Cardiff University in Wales released a study that said that driving with a cold was the same as driving whilst massively drunk. According to the study, driving with a cold or bout of the flu is equivalent to "driving under the influence of four double whiskeys."

This is easily the most ludicrous thing that I have ever heard.

Last week, I drove to work with a mild sore throat and runny nose. It fit all the symptoms of the common cold. Despite this, I did not veer off of the road. Nobody was killed. After I exited my car, I was fully capable of walking into my office in a straight line. I did not slur my speech, nor did I text embarrassing things to people that I used to date. I had no craving for bad Mexican food. In short, my behavior was not that of a drunk person.

According to statistics provided by ABC News, there are about 500 million colds per year in the United States. So....there are 500 million instances of drunk driving that don't have any relation to alcohol per year in the USA? If this was even close to accurate, our streets would look like something from "The Road."

I have been forced to conclude that this is part of a Welsh strategy to curb CO2 emissions by getting fewer people to drive, thus providing a better climate for raising sheep, which is what one does in Wales. That is literally the only rational explanation for this study.

No comments:

Post a Comment